Saturday, July 25, 2009

Books I love to Read

Books and reading are somewhat of an obsession of mine. I love buying books, both for myself and for my classroom. It's always dangerous for me to go into a bookstore. Rarely do I come out of the store without a book. My classroom library has over 400 books; I'd say that I own at least 80% of them. When it's time for Scholastic Book Orders, I just cannot seem to stop myself from buying more books. My personal library at home is also full. My bookself cannot even hold them all. There are many books that I own that I haven't read yet (partly because I like to get books from the library, so I read those instead). There just isn't enough time for me to read them all, even with the large amount of reading I do.

It wasn't always this way. I didn't always love to read. It hasn't always been the way I pass so much time. Even thought I've always been a good reader, I didn't always read a lot outside of school. Growing up, I usually spent my free time in front of the tv. I still do that a lot of the time, but I'm usually not paying a lot of attention, because I've got a book out and am busy reading. In my family you were more likely to see my mom or younger brother sitting around with a book open in front of them.

The change really came about during college. I remember one May at the end of the college school year (it was either end of freshmen or sophmore) I decided that I was going to try and read more that summer. I was already making a list in my head of books that I wanted to read. From there things just took off. I read at least 30 books that summer. Many days I would read an entire book. If not that, books didn't take me long to finish. I just seemed to fly through numerous books.

In many ways, I haven't stopped since. Sure I've paused a few times, but never for more than a few days. There are a few times when I got through a little spurt of not feeling like reading. Overall though, I'm reading most chances I get.

Now what kinds of books do I read? I'd say that almost every book I read has some aspect of romance in it. Some are Christian romance, some are not. A few years ago when I really jumped into reading, most of the books were just regular romance. It wasn't until later that I really discovered christian romance, including love inspired and christian chick-lit. Ocassionally I'll venture back to the regular romance books, but my book shelves are lined with lots of christian romance books.

I think I'm drawn to christian romance books because it takes me to a situation that I've never experienced. I'm drawn into another world; a world were the girl gets the guy, a world so different from my own. Some of the books have characters that I can easily relate to, others there are very few similarities between myself and any characters. It usually doesn't affect whether or not I'll pick up and enjoy a book.

Now, don't think that I love every book that I read. There are some books that I just can't get into; I put them down and away before I finished. There are just some time that I don't enjoy certain books. I may pick that same book up later and finish it. Sometimes I force myself to keep going in a book and finish it. Sometimes I skip to the end, just to read the ending and consider myself "finished." Yet other times I'll skip to the end, just because I cannot wait any longer to know how it ends, and then continue to read from where I left off. Generally I don't like to start a book and not finish it.

Some people cannot believe how much I read. Numerous times I've been asked, "How do you have so much time to read?" or I've heard, "I don't have time to read." My response is always something along the lines of I don't have anything else to do. I'm not in a relationship, I'm not married, I don't have kids. My time is a little more open. I can read just before bed. I can read after I take my shower in the morning. I don't have the responsiblities that others have.

That brings up the question of whether or not I would trade in all my time to read for those responsiblities? For the most part, I'd say that I'd give up all the extra time for a story fit for the books I love to read. Unfortunately reading the stories of romance cannot replace the lack of it in my life. Sometimes I worry that it gives me unrealistic expectations of how my life may be. Overall, I just want to at some point be able to say that I have my own, though unperfect it will be, "happy ending."

3 comments:

Teri K said...

I like both of your blogs. I'm a Christian, too, and was a teacher at one time. I also LOVE books. you might like my blog at http://abookwithaview.blogspot.com. I haven't written about fiction or christian books yet but I will.
As for the loneliness, you are not alone. My daughter was 27 before she dated, and was recently married. I married out of college, bit my husband died unexpectedly last August. I'm wondering where I will fit and How God will use me as single woman. I can promise you there is no lifestyle that keeps you from feeling lonely. It happens even in the midst of the happiest relationships. And some former friends now married may appreciate one on one time with you if you invite them. But that doesn't lesson you pain right now, I know. I'm glad you appreciate the things you have time for -- like reading and blogging. Try not to think of this time as forever. And don't forget it's OK to get upset and question God. He can handle it. Be blessed.

Kae said...

Love the blog! This post is so "me" as well! Although I've always loved reading since I taught myself at age 4 (and I'm gaining on 40!) and I don't think I've ever stopped reading. The more I think about it, I realize that, if I go too long without reading, I get depressed.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi" and check out your blog!

Kae (from Jello Salad is Redundant)

AngBreidenbach said...

Hi from one Lutheran to another. I know it is true that we just trade one set of problems for another when we are single or married. As a married woman, there are times the grass is greener. But I feel your frustration as I care about my single brother who wants to have a marriage and family and am now watching a dear, dear friend get married for the first time at 45. I don't think you'd give up what you love, you'd just fill that time in a different set of choices that you would love too. Sometimes, I wish I could just read all the time like I did when I was single. It can get so frustrating to read a paragraph and set it down not to be picked up for two days. I love reading. I love writing. I write a paragraph and can't pick up where I left off for all the disruption.

So the grass is green and brown and needs mowing and watering and...but I pray, I am really praying, for your desire to be other than single. May God bless you with the spouse of your dreams and doubly bless you because of the wait.

Angie