Sunday, July 26, 2009

Are my "storms" really that bad?

Today's sermon at church is really was inspired this entry. The sermon was about the "storms" of life that we face and how Jesus helps us through them. This really made me reflect on my life, my reliance on God during the difficult times, and even the problems others face.

During the sermon the vicar shared a story of a family friend that had just lost their 6-month old son to SIDS this past Friday. This of course made me (and I'm sure many others) think of the fact that the vicar's 5th child was stillborn last fall. A huge part of me felt sad when he was sharing this story. I also felt guilty, because I know that I complain about so many things in my life and I feel like my life is so hard, when its really nothing compared to what these families have gone through.

I also have a friend, who is married, and lately it seems that her and her husband are having some difficulties. I'm supportive of her and am always willing to listening. But as I was sitting next to her in church today, I couldn't help but feel guilty. Are my problems really that bad compared to hers?

I just said to myself, I shouldn't make such a big deal of the things I have to deal with. A part of me knows that they are serious for me and everyone has their own and different difficulties and struggles. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, while this sermon made me reflect on some of the "storms" in my life, it also made me recall the problems of others. I think that I have a tendency to be a little too self-centered when it comes to my problems. Sometimes I'm so consumed in my own problems, that I forget that others are going through tough times.

I just pray that the Lord will help me to not only work through my own struggles, but to also be compassionate to others and their struggles and be helpful and supportive when needed.

When I'm going through a difficult time, I'll admit that I don't always immediately turn to God. Sometimes it escapes me for a while. I think part of it is an issue of trust. There have just been times in my life when things haven't turned out the way I want them to, so I guess I just find it hard to trust. Now I know that God knows what is best and answers prayers in his own way. It's just hard for me sometimes to be comfortable with the answers and not having control.

No comments: